As we have discovered this week, Schnucks offers Health and Wellness related functionality across three platforms: in store, online, and mobile through recipes, pharmacy, cooking classes, fresh food, and more.
It is great to see Schnucks focus on health and wellness, and in our opinion they are doing a great job! However, there is always room for progress; here are some areas in which Schnucks could have opportunities for improvement and innovation:
- Product Database: Develop a product database for the online platform and link it to the mobile database.
- Online Resources: Develop additional online health and wellness resources based on specific product attribute based topics such as low sodium, heart healthy and local.
- Online Articles: Product attribute based articles.
- Encompassing Initiative: A single H&W initiative, similar to Wegmans' Wellness Keys, that ties together the existing platforms.
- Human H&W Resources: More human H&W resources and services such as retail dietitian, ask a dietitian questions online, nutritional counseling.
- Recipe Ingredients: Link every recipe ingredient to its corresponding product view in order to communicate product data to consumers (requires a product database)
- Store Events: Host store events like tours and seminars.
As retailers look for ways to evolve and respond to the ever-changing consumer demands, a complete and robust product database presents itself as a necessity rather than a luxury. Retailers that have a complete and up-to-date product database, one that is encompassing of every product's ingredient, nutritional, certification and marketing claim makeup, find themselves in a place to be proactive, rather than reactive, and in a position to win in the marketplace. Knowing what is happening today places you in a better position for tomorrow.
Next week, we will discuss Hy-Vee and its unique health and wellness features; stay tuned!